<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Videos showing how voter ID doesn't work in Indiana.
update: ok here are the 6 videos as one playlist. i think this should work.
there's some dead air in a few of them, maybe i'll get a tighter edit later.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNesRy31jXibfw1-cZ_w6ziFbyfxZkKrO

Today I went to vote at the firehouse down the street. As I have been doing since 2006, I declined to show ID.
I was not offered a provisional ballot, just told I couldn't vote. This is how it usually goes, although results vary.
I went to the voting warehouse office and discussed things with Jenny at the front desk.
She told me that I should go back and try again, and give them a call so they could explain things.
So I go back and call, but the precinct boss refused to talk to the election board lawyer who was on my phone, and instead ordered me to leave the building, so I left.  I did get a call about 4:45 that they had got it straightened out and I should go back a third time, but by then I was miles away and it was not practical to get there by 6 pm.

I would be interested in people's opinions. Do I have standing? Do I have a case on the merits?
It may be complicated by some preclusion issues, because this is not my first time at the rodeo, but the facts seem like they may be different enough. This is the first time I got it all on video.
In a previous case, the election official gave perjured testimony that I had stopped in but left so quickly she couldn't offer me a provisional ballot, which is not at all what happened.

I am very self-conscious about my appearance, but I am willing to put up these videos because they tell a story that I think is important, how voter ID actually works, which is different from how it is supposed to work.
It might, or might not, provide the kind of as-applied challenge I've been looking for.

update: linked at hasen. http://electionlawblog.org/?p=82566

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?