<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 15, 2006

Huzzah! 

The court therefore concludes that the Missouri voter ID law violates the voting rights protected by the state constitution. Those include the "free exercise of the right of suffrage," the requirement of "free and open" elections, and the due process and equal protection clauses of the Missouri Constitution. Pdf.

I wrote my LLM thesis at U of Missouri-Kansas City on the free and open elections clause.
I am currently ass-deep in drafts of pleadings on an Indiana Voter ID case.
So it's nice to see a win on this issue under the free and open clause of the Missouri constitution. Congrats to the lawers involved. I read their complaint a few weeks ago, but did not epect a ruling this good this fast.
I'll be interested to see if the Indy Star covers it at all.
I wonder whether the judge was a Democrat. The last time I had an election law case in that court I lost, setting up a winning appeal. State ex rel Coker-Garcia v Blunt, which was the case that started me on election law.

There's also now a new suit in federal court in Missouri, http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/blogs/tokaji/2006/09/more-missouri-voter-id-litigation.html, NAACP v Carnahan.
(Robin Carnahan, the secretary of state, and daughter of the late governor and the former senator, is named in official capacity - she actually opposes Voter ID. I haven't met Robin, although her brother Tom was a friend of mine.)

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?