<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 01, 2016

I noticed today that the most recent Wisconsin court decision on voter ID not only decided on 14th amendment grounds, but also the 15th amendment. This might be the first time a court has ruled for plaintiffs on 15th Amendment grounds. In Stewart v Marion County, Judge McKinney scoffed at my 15th Amendment claim. I'm white. I think though, that a white person whose vote is diluted by the racially motivated interference with fundamental voting rights does have standing to assert the claim.
The wisconsin case did not establish that for certain, but finding a 15th Amendment violation in a statute that is a lot like Indiana's is some validation for where I was going. I'll look forward to what the 7th circuit does with this case.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?